Tell Us About Your Case
For us to help you, we need the following information from you about your
RELIGIOUS RIGHTS PROBLEM
- What happened to you that you believe constitutes discrimination on the
basis of your religion?
- In what context did this occur? (education,
employment, criminal proceedings, divorce/custody proceedings, use of public
facilities, military rules, prison rules? If other context, please specify.)
- When did this occur? (date)
- Where did this occur? (state)
- What parties are involved? (first names and titles of individuals involved,
and relationship to you)
- What institutions are involved, if any? (public or private school? public
or private employer? sheriff's office or police department? local, state, or
federal court? administrative agency? military service? prison?)
- Are you currently in court or administrative proceedings? If so, do you
have any pending court dates, the case number, in what court it is, before
what judge or investigator?
- What is the purpose of the hearing?
- Why did this occur? (Did any actions of yours contribute to the situation?
What objective evidence do you have about the motives of other parties?)
- Are there any other allegations at issue not related to freedom of religion
that might complicate your case? This includes not only the your allegations,
but also any allegations by the other party.
- How is the government involved? (Do you believe the government
discriminated by making an administrative decision? by making a judicial
decision? by enacting a law? by enforcing a law? If other, please specify.)
- Were you punished, threatened, or harmed for holding a religious belief?
If so, what religious belief, and how were you punished, threatened, or
- Were you punished, threatened, or harmed for performing a religious
practice? Were you prevented from performing a religious practice? If so,
describe the religious practice. Is this practice necessary to your
religious tradition? Please explain why. Does this religious practice
encroach in any way on the rights or interests of others? If so, what have
you done to accommodate the rights or interests of others?
BACKGROUND ON CUSTODY CASES
- Is the child adopted and if so, have they gone to the final adoption hearing?
- Is it the birth mother or the adoptive mother that the child was taken from?
- Was this a private adoption or was it done through State or other agencies?
- What is the final adoption court date, has it occured or is it still pending?
What Assistance Have Your Requested Elsewhere?
- What action have you taken concerning the alleged religious discrimination?
(Have you filed an EEO complaint? filed a complaint with your union? filed a
complaint with your state human rights commission? If other, please specify.)
- Have you requested help from other civil rights organizations? (contacted
the ACLU? Contacted any other religious rights organizations? Contacted any
other Pagan rights organizations, such as Witches Against Religious
Discrimination (WARD), Witches Anti-Discrimination Lobby, (WADL), or Lady
If so, describe who you have contacted and how they responded.
Who else have you contacted to help?
Would you--and your contact(s)--like us or others to contact them? If so,
provide a first name and e-mail/P.O. Box address/phone or fax number (with
permission of the contact only). If you have not contacted any of these
organizations, do you know of any such organizations near you?
Back to Intake Form Page
Back to ERAL Page