- Dictionaries and general reference resources
- Yahoo's amazing Library collection
- Info on every type of library on the web.
Library Association or Conference Pages
- The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions home page. Info on IFLA and for librarians in general.
- International Association of Technological University Libraries - IATUL
- Organization for directors of libaries at universities with a technology focus. Members in over 42 countries.
- American Library Association
- Information on America's largest and oldest association for librarians.
- ALA Archives
- ALA records, dating primarily from the 1920s to the present.
- ALA Archives - Columbia University Library Science Library Vertical Files 1832-1994
- CU's vertical files digitized. An amazing resource for the history of libraries and librarianship.
- Social Responsibilities Round Table
SRRT believes that libraries and librarians must recognize and help
solve social problems and inequities in order to carry out their mandate
to work for the common good and bolster democracy.
- Progressive Librarians Guild
An affiliate organization of ALA's Social Responsibilities round Table
for sharing progressive and critical perspectives in librarianship.
- American Library Association Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table
The nation's first gay, lesbian & bisexual professional
organization, offers support to GLBT library workers, present programs
and book awards and maintain a Clearinghouse of gay, lesbian &
bisexual related bibliographies, directories, and reading lists.
- Special Libraries Association
- Main home page of the Special Libraries Association.
- American Society for Information Science
The society for information professionals leading the search for new
theories, techniques and technologies to improve access to information
since 1937. Events, publications, membership information and more.
- ACM Conf. on Digital Libraries
- Call for papers for '96, full-text sample papers and info on '94 and '95.
- American Society of Indexers
- Information on the Society, FAQs on indexing and other resources.
- North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG)
Promoting communication and sharing of ideas among all members of the
serials chain. Information on NASIG, the proceedings of their conference
- Digital Library-Related Information
- Conferences and digital library info across the web.
- Advanced Information Consultants
An information services company providing a full range of Document
Delivery, Library Services, Competitive Intelligence and Professional
- The British Library
- Bibliographic and document supply services.
- Library automation, supplies and furnishings.
- Dataquest Interactive
- Dataquest provides market analysis and statistics. Free and premiun areas available.
- Market research and analaysis. Information on new releases and custom products.
- Product and corporation information.
- Dialog Corporation
- Dialog/DataStar. Company and product info, bluesheets (more current than the paper ones!) and more. Search Dialog Web.
- Document Center
- Standards vendor - US and International.
- EBSCO Information Services
provides integrated serials access and delivery solutions worldwide
through subscription management, reference database development and
production, and online multidatabase access. .
- Gale Research
- Information on Gale, its products and public services like a net guide and "celebration" pages.
- Gartner Group
- Gartner offers information on its products and some analysis of the Information Technology industry.
- Library supplies, furniture and automation.
- HW Wilson
- TOC and samples articles from issues of Wilson Library Journal.
- Information Access Company
- Online database vendor - IAC & Predicasts databases.
- Information Express
- Document delivery company with online database and ordering.
- Inmagic, Inc.
- Library database softare company. As of Fall 1996 they have middleware for taking their databases to the web.
- Books, periodicals, proceedings, etc. and INSPEC database info.
- International Thomson Publishing (ITP)
- Cyberhound search engine and ITP information.
- International Translations Center (ITC)
- Translations awareness center for existing translations on journal articles, patents, books, etc in all fields of science, technology and the socal sciences.
- Full text and original-image brokerage reports and market analysis reports. Searchable only by subscribers.
- Product and corporate information.
- The Librarian's Yellow Pages
- Offers keyword or vendor-specific searches for products and see announcements of new products in particular subject categories.
- Oxford Analytica
- An international consulting firm which provides business and political leaders with timely analysis of worldwide political, economic and social developments.
- Questel-Orbit Patent and Trademark page
- Information on Questel-Orbit, documentation and a link to the QPAT-US searchable patent abstract database.
- Responsive Database Services
- Business information databases - Business & Industry, Business & Management Practices, and Tablebase.
- SilverPlatter's information products and industry-related articles.
- Sirsi Corporation
- UNIX-based library automation systems. See list of www-available webcat sites
- Softlink Australia Pty Ltd
- Library automation software.
- Updata Publications' On-Line Catalog of CD-ROM Databases
Comprehensive collection of CD-ROM titles in a searchable database. As
of June 1995, this catalog lists and indexes 2600 CD-ROMs from over 530
- Document delivery, ProQuest and Dissertation ordering.
- Winnebego Software Company
- Library automation vendor for Macs and PCs.
- Internet-based subscription management agency, specializing in the administration of subscriptions to domestic and international publications for businesses.
Publishers and Book Distributors
- Index of Publisher's catalog home pages
- Arranged by country, this is an amazing index!
- Thomson Publishing
- Home pages for 38 publishers including ITP, Van Nostrand Reinhold, Chapman & Hall, Routledge, Gale Reseach and more!
- Internet Bookshop
- List of (mostly British) publishers.
- Academic Press
- Catalog by author or subject.
- Addison Wesley
- AW, Benjamin Cumming & Peachpit Press. Link to AW's searchable gopher for title/author/subject searches.
- American Association of University Presses
- AAUP represents 28 presses with over 45,000 books and 110 institutions with over 800 journal titles. Searchable either as a group or by individual press.
- Bantam Doubleday Dell
- A complex site with a catalog, info on new releases, tours and appearances, resources for young readers and more.
- R.R. Bowker
- Books Out-of-Print online and Bowker company information.
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts
- Information on CSA and their products.
- Cambridge University Press (UK)
- This site has a searchable catalog CUP's book and journal titles.
- CRC Press
- Monthly catalog of releases in its technology books.
- Elsevier Science
- Elsevier, Pergamon, North Holland and Excerpta Medica. Searchable catalog of entire Elsevier's Science line.
- Engineering Information, Inc.
- EI Compendex and other engineering info products.
- Greenwood Publishing Group
- A publisher of academic, reference, trade, general interest, and professional books and electronic media. Imprints include Ablex Publishing, Auburn House, Bergin & Garvey, Greenwood Electronic Media, Greenwood Press, HEINEMANN, Oryx, Praeger and Quorum Books.
- Hard Shell Word Factory
- An all genre E-Book publisher and distributor showcasing science fiction, romance, new thought/non fiction, etc.
- Harvard University Press
- British Government printing office.
- Houghton Mifflin Company
- A publisher of quality materials for the home and educational markets.
- International Data Group (IDG)
- Books, journals and events from IDG.
- Kluwer Academic Publishers Gopher
- Searchable catalog covering more than 11,500 book titles and 260 journal titles.
- The Macmillan USA Information SuperLibrary
- MacMillan, Que, Que College, Sams Publishing, Alpha Books, New Riders Publishing, Hayden Books, Brady, and Adobe Press with an interesting online order system and other info.
- Distributor of health science, scientific, technical, business, and law books.
- Marquis Who's Who
- Compiles biographies of over 900,000 leaders and achievers from around the world, and from all professions.
- Information from Canadian sources, including patents and government info.
- MIT Press
- Keyword searches of post-1993 publications, plus journal and book information.
- Information on ordering from the National Technical Information Service and pointers to other government information servers.
- O'Reilly & Associates
- Information on ORA's line of computer books.
- Oxford University Press
- Info on the Press, the OED (excellent newsletter!) and other books and journals. See also Oxford University Press - New York.
- Penguin USA
- Popular and academic books and CD-ROM title information.
- Prentice Hall
- Professional and academic title indexes.
- Periodical directory, gives bibliographic and publisher information including links to the publisher's pages.
- Putnam Berkeley Online
- Upcoming books, specialized newsletters, book summaries and excellent author bios.
- Random House
- Knopf (and its imprints), Del Rey and Ballantine. Very much under construction as Random House adds its many imprints!
- Reed Reference Publishing
- Reed, Bowker, Marquis, etc. page. Books Out Of Print available soon!
- A member of the Taylor and Francis Group which includes Garland Publishing, Brunner-Routledge, RoutledgeFalmer, Psychology Press, and Spon Press.
- Springer-Verlag NY
- Books and journals. Searchable catalog and much more. Outside US try Home Office in Germany
- John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Products in print and electronic media for the educational, professional, scientific, technical, and consumer markets worldwide. Also, Wiley-Interscience offers journal information on the more than 400 Wiley journals published worldwide in disciplines across science, technology, medicine, and the business and legal professions.
- CD-ROM and laserdisk titles and more. Not Lynx compatible.
- White Buffalo Press
- This publishing house specializes in topics associated with individuals with disabilities and their families. Recent titles include Library Patrons with Disabilities.
- World Scientific
- Publisher of books and journals, electronic publications, CD-ROMs, and trade periodicals.
Internet Info for librarians and staff
- Library Lists
- Library-Oriented Lists and Electronic Serials. Or, for more general list information.
- PACS Review
- Public-Access Computer Systems Review archives.
- Library list information and back files from PACS-L, WEB4LIB and WWW-vlib.
- Lund gopher
- List of library info pointers.
- Association of Research Libraries (ARL) information for librarians.
- Library Support Staff Resource Center
- Here are resources and information to help library support staff communicate, associate, and advance in their career.
- Info Connect
- Slow & clunky index to information for librarians and info professionals from the UK.
- Internet Trend Watch for Libraries
- An e-mail newsletter highlighting innovative Internet applications in libraries.
- Scholarly Electronic Publishing Bibliography, Version 7
- Charles Bailey's bibliography presents selected articles, books, electronic documents, and other sources that are useful in understanding scholarly electronic publishing efforts on the Internet and other networks.
- Just-in-Time(sm): Electronic Article Delivery Services
- A clearinghouse of projects, research, products and services aimed at electronic document delivery.
- Innovative Internet Applications in Libraries
- Intended primarily for the library community, Innovative Internet Applications in Libraries is a sampling of new and interesting uses of the Web by public, corporate, academic, and school libraries.
Library Journals on the Web
- Internet Trend Watch for Libraries
- An e-mail newsletter highlighting innovative Internet applications in libraries.
- Library Journal: digital
- some of LJ's most popular departments and columns, plus late-breaking news; weekly InfoTech updates; a sampling of book, audio, video, CD-ROM, and website reviews; bonus reviews of books that came too late to make the print publication; and postings of the editor's hot picks that will be reviewed in the magazine.
- Issues in Science & Technology Librarianship
- An instruction resource for scientific and medical libraries.
- D-Lib Magazine
- Research interests in digital libraries.
- Progressive Librarian
- Offers full text of most recent issue.
- Quarterly magazine from UK Office for Library and Information Networking on technology/web and information science issues in libraries.
- First Monday
- Original, peer-reviewed, articles about the Internet and the Global Information Infrastructure.
- Journal of the American Society for Information Science (JASIS)
- Tables of content with abstracts, author guidelines and topics for upcoming issues.
- ASIS Special Interest Group on Library Automation and Networks Newsletter
- Full-text newsletter of SIG-LAN from December 1995 to present, quarterly.
- Links to ALA accredited library schools
- A list of URLs I compiled for the SLA San Andreas Chapter page.
- SJSU SLIS
- San Jose State Univ. Library School home page.
- All Star Review
- An educational product review site - reviewing software, audio, video and other educational and entertainment products.
- ALA Banned Book Week
- Lots of info on censorship and banned books.
- Banned Books
- Discussions of and links to books which have been banned.
- National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC
- An alliance of 50 national non-profit organizations, including literary, artistic, religious, educational, professional, labor, and civil liberties groups. United by a conviction that freedom of thought, inquiry, and expression must be defended, we work to educate our own members and the public at large about the dangers of censorship and how to oppose them.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation Censorship Archive
- Paper: "Computers and Academic Freedom: Sex, Censorship, and the Internet", with links to censorship policies at universities and libraries.
- Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting is the national (US) media watch group offering well-documented criticism in an effort to correct media bias and imbalance.
- The File Room
- A project for tracking censorship.
- A variety of civil liberties resources, including anti-censorship and cyber-liberties resources.
- Feminists for Free Expression
- Working to preserve the individual's right and responsibility to read, listen, view and produce materials of her choice, without the intervention of the state "for her own good."
- Libraries for the Future
- A not-for-profit organization dedicated to information equity, literacy and the preservation and renewal of libraries as essential tools for a democratic society.
- Progressive Librarians Around the World
- Directory of politically progressive library organizations and publications in various countries.
- Filtering Software: The Religious Connection
- A 2002 article by Nancy Willard, M.S. J.D. of Responsible Netizen, Center for Advanced Technology in Education at University of Oregon.
Web Filtering Software Issues
- ALA's Resolution on the Use of Filtering Software in Libraries
- Adopted by the ALA Council, July 2 1997.
- Filtering and Censorware in Libraries
- A librarian-created site working to keep filtering software out of libraries.
- The Censorware Project
- "Blacklisted by Cyber Patrol", an excellent example of the pitfals of filtering software.
- EPIC Censorware page
- Links to a variety of information on Censorware and legal cases pertaining thereto.
- Filtering Facts
- A pro-filter group concerned about pornography and childern.
- INALJ (I Need a Library Job)
- An excellent guide to library employment-related online resources.
- Jobs in Higher Education
- A meta-collection of faculty, staff, and administrative announcements for the academic job hunter.
- Library Job Postings on the Internet
- Posting by region and library type compiled by Sarah Johnson.
- Networked Librarian Job Search Guide
- Links to over 100 sites containing job listings for librarians.
- ALA Education and Employment Page
- Job listings from American Libraries and ACRL.
- SLA Career Services
- Special Libraries job listings and career resources
- Association of Research Libraries Career Resources
- Vacancies by job description or by geographic region. Primarily ARL member libraries.
- California Library Association - Job Mart
- Searchable job listings.
- SLA Silicon Valley Job Line
- The Jobline is provided jointly by SLA Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Region chapters of the Special Libraries Association (SLA).
- Advanced Information Management
- Summary of job openings, etc., plus a listing of upcoming library meetings in the SF Bay and LA areas of California.
- More career resources
- My pointers to more general job listings.
- A headhunter specializing in Information Science, Information Architecture, Knowledge Engineering, Ontology, Information Retrieval, Knowledge Management, and related fields. National listings.
Electronic Books and Other Electronic Texts have moved to their own page.
- Bookbinding: A tutorial
- A tutorial on bookbinding, aimed at the preservation of older books.
- Information Center on Books
- Bookarts, Bookbinding, Papermaking and book, archive and library resources.
- The Library of Congress offers a FAQ and other resources regarding collections care, conservation treatment and emergency preparedness and response.
- Michigan State ZWeb z39.50 gateway for searching single or multiple university library catalogs (mostly in Michigan).
- Bodleian Library
- The Bodleian Library in Oxford offers many services to its users. The BARD project while not allowing full access outside the Oxford community has good resources.
- The Mann Library
- Good example of what a university library can do using a WWW front end.
- Internet Resources Newsletter
A monthly newsletter created by the Heriot-Watt University Library in
Scotland, pointing to resources of interest to the higher education
- Research Library's Group, Member Exhibits Page
- Pointers to museum and archive collections put up by RLG members.
- The New York Academy of Medicine Library
- A well organized page with a "Virtual Library" image map. And yes, that is what their library looks like!
- WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE: Librarian's Guide to the Best Information on the Net
- St. Ambrose University library web page classifies web resources by major area and reference sites.
- UC Berkeley offers text and image collections and a virtual library interface to the web.
Classifying the Web
- Berkeley Public Library
- Index to the Internet by subject.
- Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web
- Pointers to different entities by classification system.
- The Big Picture
- Visual browsing in Web and non-Web databases and other information visualization topics.
- Internet subject catalog and universal decimal catalog.
A collection of significant WWW and other Internet resources
categorized using the Library of Congress classification scheme. Links
to research on internet classification.
National Information Services and Systems is building up a selective
annotated collection by UDC (mainly of social and medical science
resources to date).
- UC Riverside Infomine
- Internet resource collection - esp. instructional materials by discipline.
- The Next WAVe(sm)
- Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases.
- International Community for Auditory Display
A forum for presenting research on the use of sound to display data,
monitor systems, and provide enhanced user interfaces for computers and
virtual reality systems. Sponsor of ICAD conference.
- Lipstick Librarian
- A humorous parody page about fashion conscious librarians.
- Fun for Bookworms
- A collection of library jokes, poems, bumperstickers and more, hosted by New Jersey State Library
- The Laughing Librarian
- A irreverent humor page by Brian Smith.
- Biblia's Warrior Librarian Weekly
- A zine for librarians who refuse to be classified.
Librarians web pages
- How to Manage your Web Pages
- A CE lecture by Dr. John Griffiths for librarians and library administrators who develop and/or manage their own websites.
- Librarians in the Movies: An Annotated Filmography
A look at the "typical movie librarian" via over 225 films in which
librarians appear - as main characters, as peripheral characters or as
- Marian Dworaczek's Home Page
- Several excellent annotated, linked bibliographies of and on electronic resources.
- Wireless Libraries
- Dale Foster's page on Wireless Data Communications, PDAs, and Library Applications.
- The Modified Librarian
- Links to librarians with body mods.
- The Bellydancing Librarian
- Librarians who dance.
- New Breed Librarian
- A one-stop shop for new or soon-to-be librarians.
Back to Rowan's Home Page